Rifle vs Sniper Rifle

Your statistics and screenshots.
cethin
MLS Admin
MLS Admin

Rifle vs Sniper Rifle

Post by cethin »

A change that would be interesting to see is to distinguish between being killed by a rifle versus a sniper rifle. Every other weapon on the server has its own unique kill feed message, but rifle and sniper rifle are combined despite being polar opposites in terms of how difficult it is to play with one or the other. Currently, the kill feed for both says "sniped by". I would like to suggest a change so that kills from the rifle say "rifled by", which it did in stock MOHAA, and the sniper rifle remains the same as "sniped by".

As of right now, there is no "Rifle" weapon classification on the weapon class stat tracker, but wasn't sure if that was limited by the stat tracker.

In terms of dealing with the stats, it is easier to just do the exact opposite of what I said in terms of kill message. Keep the rifle as "sniped by" and change the sniper rifle to "rifled by". The alternative would be to mass migrate all of the "Sniper" data to a currently non-existent "Rifle" section, and keep my original kill feed change.

To summarize, I propose three options:

Option A:
  • Change rifle kill message to "rifled by" from "sniped by"
  • Migrate current "Sniper" weapon class stats to a currently non-existent "Rifle" weapon class (coming from a guy who isn't managing the data or stat tracker)
+ Distinguish between rifle and sniper rifle, resets original rifle kill message
+ Sniper Rifle users now have a brand new fresh dataset to start parsing stats from.
- I'm picturing a potential huge PITA with the data migration, sorry Fire_StorM & BraveHeart. I might be able to help though.

Option B:
  • Change sniper rifle kill message to "rifled by" from "sniped by"
  • No change needed to stats, but need to create a "Rifle" weapon class in the stats
+ No crazy stat migration, "distinguishes" rifle and sniper rifle
+ Sniper users can start from a fresh database that isn't plagued by rifle stats.
- Rifle is now a "sniper rifle", sniper rifle is now a "rifle"

Option C:
  • This is a non-issue no one thought about. Shut up cethiN
+ Nothing changes
- Nothing changes, actual sniper rifle users aren't seen at all in the stats due to the overlap between the rifle and sniper rifle kill feed message.
- cethiN is sad

It's just something I've thought about since we've starting collecting stats again.
Brave_Heart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rifle vs Sniper Rifle

Post by Brave_Heart »

Option C :D
jk
Brave_Heart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Brave_Heart »

Those message output are game default and cant be changed, you can try changing them on Client side but at server side, cant and wont work for reasons quite obvious.. Hence the parser that parse the logs classify both as Rifle.
Same with "Shot by" or "Gunned down by" = Pistol
In the face, on the kisser = Rocket
Hunted down by, pumped full of buckshot = Lazy Shot... I mean Shotgun
perforated by, MAchine gunned by = MG
and so on and so on.
cethin
MLS Admin
MLS Admin

Post by cethin »

I'll double check when I get home, but I do believe the kill messages can be modified.

Return to “Player Stats”